Sunday, March 20, 2011

Beware of GPS!











Assalamualaikum

Last week I went to Pulau Pangkor. On the way back as usual I'm using GPS and it shows toward Jelapang road. I thought that was the road that I used the days before but actually it is not. I was a bit curious because the road looks unfamiliar. It have more traffic lights. So I reset and check again my GPS and yes it still shows the same way. So I continue my journey. Only after another 28 km from Ipoh I change my mind. I follow road direction and abandon GPS advice for a while.

GPS suggest
Lumut - Ipoh 86 km
Ipoh - Kajang 225 km
Total journey suggested = 311 km

Google suggest
Lumut - Kajang through PLUS 269 km
Lumut - Kajang through Sabak Bernam 234 km

The problem is that I don't bring map or internet with me so I follow blindly the GPS. If I don't change my mind, for sure I will travel 311 km. By changing my mind I travel around 290 km. The questions are:
1. Why GPS suggest lousy road? I set my GPS to search for the fastest way but instead of showing road to Highway, it shows me road full with trafic lights. No way it will be a fastest way!
2. I understand because of the setting shows the fastest way (instead of the shorter way), many times GPS will point to longer road with less traffic but come on not 77 km longer! That is 30% from total journey. Again - no way that is the fastest way!

I use Garmin. Maybe I should explore others! :cool:

and god knows better..

No comments:

Post a Comment